Thursday, March 01, 2007
Probably not this guy but you get the picture.
The Oilers are still good enough to compete for a playoff spot next year if they upgrade their roster.
But this is what I think we will see. And remember I figured right up to the moment they traded Smyth that they would sign him, so believe me at your own risk. :)
1. If the Oilers are out of playoff contention next year Jason Smith will also get moved.
2. They are going to try to sign Markannen to a two year deal. If they believed in JDD at all they would have moved him.
3. They are seriously thinking of keeping Sykora. (Well duh!) Likely they will try and ink him for two years for what he is making now.
4. They will not dip into the free agent market in a serious way.
5. They will trade for a big name player. Lowe has a ton of assets in terms of young players, prospects and draft picks. There are way too many youngsters who are ready or almost ready for their shot. There is not room for all of them.
6. While Richards is unlikely (great player but 7.8M is a ridiculous overpay) that is the type of player they will target. Quality player signed for two years plus.
7. Who, you ask? Focus on teams who may have cap issues, teams that fall short of the playoffs and teams that bomb out in the playoffs.
8. In the first case teams will try to clear space because they need to or because they want to take a run at the new UFA crop. Think Ottawa or Tampa as teams that have cap issues going into next year or any number of teams who want to give Chris Drury 7M a year.
9. In the second case there is still Philly but think of Atlanta if they fall short again as a team that may blow things up. Florida is another candidate.
10. The third case, well, this remains to be seen.
I see a situation where Atlanta decides to go in another direction and wants to move Hossa either because they are blowing everything up or to free up cash to pursue a UFA. Just as an example. And Lowe moves some youth.
And to my dismay, I don't see Lupul going anywhere. Although getting that 2.3 off the books would be a good idea.
Posted by Black Dog at 12:26 PM