Saturday, November 22, 2008

Threesome



Dear BDHS, I used to read those letters people wrote to you and I thought that they were bull, you know, probably written by you and some of your buddies after a bunch of pints in some Communist bar that your type like to hang out in. Then last summer I happened to be in Edmonton visiting my friend, lets call him, I don't know, Andy Grabia. Andy and I were out working at his uncle's farm. It was a hot day and soon we found ourselves stripping our shirts off, revealing our massive chests and insanely powerful arms. Suddenly we turned to see Andy's uncle's neighbour's daughter's best friend. She looked at us coyly and said 'I have a surprise for you'. My mouth dry with excitement, I replied, 'yes'. She licked her lips and smiled. 'Mike Winters is in the hayloft.'


-----------------------------------------------------

After university I, like many of my friends, found myself underemployed. This was the early nineties. The economy wasn't great and I was saddled with an English degree, no prospects and an alarming combination of a lack of ambition and a lack of direction. Having said that I was perfectly content to meander about Toronto in my flannel shirt, sandals and afro for a few years while I figured shit out. For the greater part of that time I established myself as a true representative of the nineties slacker, as we were labelled, by working at a video store.

It was actually a terrific job. Enough money to pay the rent and for beer and cigarettes when needed and all the movies I could watch, an opportunity I took full advantage of. I watched everything I could get my hands on - Japanese and French films, little indies and classic black and whites. It was a great little store. Your man carried everything under the sun and each week he brought in whatever was on coming out.

There's no accounting for taste so of course for every copy of Living In Oblivion or Kicking and Screaming (Yeah I liked the movies where young people sat around and blah blah blahhed) there were three of Sliver or Threesome. Ahh, Threesome. Starring Lara Flynn Boyle before she began to starve herself, one of the Baldwins and some other dude.

Man was it terrible.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Oilers are fighting it these days and for every legitimate issue that this club has (too young, could use more size, still need a veteran third line centre), there is the self inflicted stuff that makes me mental. You know, the waiting until the very last minute in 2006 to shore up the goaltending, the failure to address the defence in 2006/2007, the insistence on playing guys out of position this season. And first and foremost this season, the three goaltenders.

This past summer I was on a thread and the discussion was about what the Oilers' plans were for Horcoff. Stoll and Reasoner were gone and so it was Horcoff and the kids and the feeling amongst many of us was that signing Horcoff became a must at this point unless this team was going to throw away a couple more years developing these kids. The point was made (I think it was Brownlee but I cannot be 100% sure; I think it may have been because I gave the comment more weight then I normally would have) that teams didn't necessarily look that far ahead and that things were a lot more fluid then we thought.

To me this was crazy. If you are running a multimillion dollar business then my thinking is that you should have an idea of what your plans for the future are. If moving Stoll out means that you now only have one centre over twenty three then I'm thinking you had probably plan on signing that guy. Of course they did sign Horcoff so maybe I was just getting smoke blown up my ass.

But then I look at the goaltending situation and wonder what genius figured this one out. I mean, really.

I can understand not sending DesLauriers down. Dubnyk needs to be the starter in Springfield. JDD does not need the work in the AHL. Basically its time to either promote him or cut him loose.

So if you decide to keep him up then it makes sense to cut one of the vets loose, right? Except the number two guy has a big contract and really isn't attractive to anyone unless they need insurance in the spring. And the number one guy, while he put up nice numbers last year, is not necessarily a guy you want to move because you can likely sign him for relatively cheap and the other veteran is just about forty so he's done. And yet you're probably not too comfortable with putting all of your playoff eggs in the Garon basket.

So, I get it. The two veterans are free agents on top of everything so you want to keep the kid around. You like him and figure he might be a nice cheap backup next year.

Still the whole thing just reeks of poor planning. Garon had a terrific start and then sat. When he came back he did not play well and as a result he sat for, what, two weeks? He played part of the game on Thursday and maybe he will play on Wednesday, his first start in three weeks. I can see why they might not be totally sold on the guy yet but he had a good year last season and we know that neither Roloson nor JDD will be the starter next season. Right?
So, if you're not sold on Garon then you should either play him to see if he's the guy or move him because you don't think he's the answer.
Or replace him with a better alternative.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and while MacT can be blamed for a number of weird roster choices this year and his handling of goalies, like most coaches who don't have Roberto Luongo, has always been spotty, why the hell would the organization saddle him with this situation in the first place?
Take a look around the league. How many teams carry three goalies? And this is the second time in four years this club has done this. Apparently this is an Oiler Special. What are these guys thinking?
Jesus Murphy.

9 comments:

hunter1909 said...

It's all Lowe's fault.

2005-2006 the team goes the entire season until the deadline with 3 dodgy to outright terrible goalies.

Then insert everything you said already about the team being unprepared.

Lowe on the surface appears to be an incredibly shrewd guy. Unfortunately he also has a screw or two loose.

The same guy who got us Pronger, trades Pitkanen away for 1 season of Cole. For a team that's certainly not competing for anything this year.

I could go on.

Doogie2K said...

The same guy who got us Pronger, trades Pitkanen away for 1 season of Cole.

I do get tired of this one. Pitkanen wasn't going to play for us; Lowe got what he could. One year of Cole is better than no years of Pitkanen.

hunter1909 said...

I do get tired of having my words picked apart by Oiler fans.

I'm not interested in arguing here. Just stating my opinion.

A valid one, btw.

Lord Bob said...

People who state their Valid Opinions and then get snippy when called on them are my favourite people~

hunter1909 said...

Sorry Bob. It's probably a vitamin B deficiency of mine today.

Black Dog said...

Can't we all just get along? :)

doritogrande said...

Given the usual arguments of Oilers fans, we won't know the true benefit of the Pitkanen trade until we know what Cole lands us at the trade deadline.

Or, for that matter, it should be the true benefit of the Bonsignore trade ;)

I do agree with hunter though. Even half-assing everything Pitkanen was all-world, especially at even strength. I would have rather had a defense consisting of Pitkanen, Souray and Visnovsky as our top three than have a top line of Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky.

mike w said...

Who told you about the hayloft!?!?

>:0

grease trap said...

Dude, everyone knows...