Wednesday, February 24, 2010

HUGE Game, BIG Goals, CLUTCH Saves, ENORMOUS MUSCULAR Thighs


Here's what I'm hoping, post game handshake tonight, dejected Russians, smiling Hoser millionaires:

goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame, goodgame

good game

Should be a good one. Four years ago the Canadians were nowhere near this quality and they still gave the Reds a good run in the quarters.

They're closely matched and its going to come down to luck and goaltending likely. The Russians came with a dozen forwards and eight D and have lost a centreman so apparently they may go with three centres, one of those being Fedorov. So this may be something in favour of Canada if they can take advantage of old Sergei or wear out Malkin and Datsyuk.

The Russian D may be had but I worry about seeing Pronger and Boyle facing the fleeter forwards like Ovechkin. I haven't seen Boyle that good at all. For that matter Niedermeyer worries me too. I'd like to see Seabrook out there but then again what do I know.

The Canadians have pretty well outplayed everyone, including the Americans, by a pretty good margin, and last night seemed to be their best game in terms of winning puck battles and all of that jazz. I know a few folks give the big pshaw to the notion of intensity and all of that but I thought last night had a solid effort start to finish from all of the forwards. Guys like Perry and Nash and Staal and, well, everyone, seemed to be on the ball all the way through. Have not seen that in a few cases.

Final thoughts.

If Getzlaf is hurt then either he pulled one over on management (selfish/dumb) or they took a chance on him (dumb). If he is not hurt then maybe he ought to do a little more because he's been unimpressive to me.

Coming out party for Keith, Doughty, Toews. Toews has not been the best forward for Canada but he's up there. He always comes away with the puck.

I've liked Heatley, Marleau, Thornton. I've liked Thornton a lot. I think he's been terrific. There, I said it.

In the end its Luongo. If he has a good game then I say they win unless the hockey gods absolutely abandon the Canadians.

Lets go you Canucks!

18 comments:

PDO said...

6-3 and Crosby with 4 points.

Hope those Russians have a stockload of cheap vodka, they'll need it to cry into.

Crosby.

andy grabia said...

Coming out party for Keith, Doughty, Toews.

No love for Weber? He's been fantastic.

BTW, you think Phaneuf's watching Pronger play and thinking to himself, "I could play that bad!!!"

Black Dog said...

I've liked Weber too, yeah, but the other two more.

Yeah Pronger has been a revelation. Unbelievable to me is how lost he looks with the puck, he's fumbled it more in the last three games than hie entire career as an Oiler.

PDO said...

Did Pronger manage to go from having a top 5 contract in the league to a bottom 5 contract in the league?

Especially considering he is over 35, that is probably the WORST contract in the league...

R O said...

I've followed Contrarian Goaltender forever and he's pretty convincing. He rates Luongo over Nabokov, so theoretically we have the goaltending edge tonight. Over single games that means close to fuck-all but every tenth of a percent counts here.

I wonder if the gameplan is Thornton vs. Ovechkin or Crosby vs. Ovechkin. I prefer the latter personally but the split-up of Nash and Crosby telegraphs that as being unlikely.

A shame because I thought we brought the soft Sharks wingers along with Thornton so the trio could eat soft minutes. Thornton is awesome but damn if you're going to go PVP against Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin then all three forwards have to be prepared for it.

Brad said...

PDO: they have a whole HOUSE full of vodka tocry into as Sochi House is right next door to the Village here. Rumours about the parties have started circulating. Atmosphere is on edge I will say. No one is quite ready to put the Canadians into the next round. Every tough win makes that gold sweeter though!

Black Dog said...

PDO - well its a higher level and he's still doing pretty well in the NHL so I wouldn't write him off just yet but it may be coming

R.O. - yeah we'll see what they decide to go with, I would bet Crosby gets the softer minutes based on what I have seen

I think Thornton & Co. can handle Ovie, as I said I think Thornton has been just terrific, and I think Heatley and Marleau are up to it as well

I would take Luongo as well. On paper I do think Canada is better, if they can saw off Russia's top six then our bottom six can win the game but of course its not that simple.

Frigging crapshoot.

PDO said...

I think the best defense against Ovechkin is to keep him in his own end... is anyone better at that than Thornton? Buddy just dominates TOI.

Brad:

Rumors... such as?

I'm fully expecting to hear that AO had a threesome with Hollingsworth and Vonn.

Ribs said...

I'm going to say 4-3 Russia. Kovalchuk will be the real killer.

Ribs said...

mmm..crow...

Black Dog said...

one off there Brian, nice one

never expected that but damn I'll take it

Bruce said...

I know a few folks give the big pshaw to the notion of intensity and all of that but I thought last night had a solid effort start to finish from all of the forwards. Guys like Perry and Nash and Staal and, well, everyone, seemed to be on the ball all the way through. Have not seen that in a few cases.

Good call, Pat. It's not me saying pshaw, the emotional side of the game is hugely important IMO. The more intense and focussed team has a fighting chance even if they are an inferior squad otherwise, which ours most certainly is not. So if they are bringing their A game as they did again tonight, the other team is in for a rough time, I don't care how good they are.

HBomb said...

All I have to say about tonight's win: FUCK YEAH.

You add Green and Boumeester to the Keith/Seabrook/Doughty/Weber foursome, and I think this country is set on the blueline for the next couple Winter Games after this one.

Currently basking in the afterglow of the win with a glass of port and some Ashley MacIsaac playing on the iPod dock. My neighbors probably hate me, but fuck it, tomorrow is day one of four glorious days off work and at home.

PS - Ashleigh McIvor has overtaken Jennifer Heil, Maelle Ricker, Jamie Sale and Catrina Le May Doan on my list of "Canadian Female Olympic Athletes I Have Impure Thoughts About".

Black Dog said...

lol HBomb, a good time to have time off I would say

Bruce - yeah it counts for a lot, we see it with our own club. By my eye Perry, for example, was far better, not because he scored two goals, but because he was in the mix right from the start, Getzlaf too.

For me Toews and Keith have been the stars of the tournament though. Toews never comes out of the corner without the puck.

HBomb said...

Pat - a weekend of hockey and no work, with a dinner date booked with a gorgeous blonde 20 year old on Sunday night before I head back out Monday night. I am not complaining one bit!

mattwatt said...

Awesome: Being in Vancouver for the Olympics. Witnessed Canada receiving a Silver Medal in Short Track Relay last night, a surreal scene to say the least.

Not awesome: My liver despises me right now.

The rumors are that the parties in Sochi house have been epic. I find that hard to believe because I lived in this city for 6 years and have never seen such a bevy of beautiful ladies, liquor and awesome people. Everywhere is an epic party, just trying to soak it all in.

Brad said...

Once 5 o'clock comes and goes, the international houses close down to 'private hosting opportunities' only. No Russian passport? Not much chance to get in.
I can share a bit more (rumor mind you) after Sunday. For right now, what happens in the village stays in the village.
News report - published - says that they had to order up more condoms for both villages. They started with 100K.

KD said...

Mattwatt

"The liver is EVIL, and must be punished!"

Think that sums up my life entirely.