Sunday, May 29, 2011

Going With The Flow



When it comes to parenting we're who some of our friends refer to as 'the strict ones' as in 'we should give our kids to you for a few days, you guys would straighten them out.' Are we tough? I don't think so. We're a little old school. Early bedtimes. No candy or junk except on special occasions. Limited time with the TV, computer and video games. Chores.



But they get an allowance for those chores and when special occasions roll around we break out the sugar and sometimes we let them just veg in front of the TV for hours. Its pretty well common sense how we do things or so we think so and of course as a parent I believe you have to feel that way. You know you're going to screw up and you've always got to try and get better at it (I've learned how to control my temper far better as the years have rolled on, for example) but I think you have to believe in how you are raising your kids one hundred percent. You have to know that the way you are doing things is the best way, you have to work at it but you have to know that its the right way.



And I think every parent feels the same way. The majority of our friends parent the same way but we have those who spoil their kids (so we feel) and we have those who don't discipline their young ones and we have those who won't commit to anything that doesn't fit in with 'the schedule'.



I don't understand any of those tacts (although I have friends who can't believe our kids are in bed by seven most nights either) but it may be the last that baffles me the most. My old man told me weeks after we had our first that I had to remember that while we give everything to our kids we need to remember that they have to give a little too - after all we had a life before they came along. (This may explain why Dad missed all of those family functions because he had pressing business at the pub. I kid. I kid.) But Dad's point was correct and we have not lost ourselves in our role as parents. Our oldest was barely a month old and we had her at a Halloween party at friends and over the years our kids have been dragged hither and thither, to parties and pubs and wanders about the city and family reunions into the wee hours up in Goulais River and the end result is that they can roll with the punches. Fourteen hours in a van on the TransCanada heading east? No problem. Dinner parties until midnight at the neighbours? Bring it on. Dinner on the road, literally? Now we're talking.



Meanwhile we know folks who pack up at 5:30 because they need to get home for the nightly bath and bedtime which cannot be a minute late. I don't get it but you know what? I'll just shut my mouth because a)its none of my business and b) they believe that's the right way to do things.



Of course its not but anyhow .... ;)



So our parenting methods are paradoxical. We are strict but easy going depending on the situation. One thing that we have never been pushy on is the toilet training. We have friends who have had their kids trained early and those who have not and damned if I know the first thing about it. We tried our first because we thought she was ready because of her age and that lasted a day and then we knew that she was not. Since then its been wait and wait and then give it a try and its worked out. So our youngest will be three in six weeks and a few weeks ago after we returned from the Dominican we said hey its probably time. The first morning there were a few accidents but then the rest of the day was fine. Day two had one mishap and the next day nothing and so it went. She still has the odd slipup, usually when she's tired out but the transition has been easy for the most part and now except for the nighttime diaper we are done after thousands of diapers over nearly eight years. Isn't that fucking mental? Once she is night trained I won't change another diaper until we have grandkids and maybe not even then.



No more diapers until I need them, so we have a few years at least.



The one quirk (there's always a quirk) is that our youngest didn't want to have anything to do with pooping at first. She's okay now but for the first week or so she was holding it in until the inevitable explosion came, usually in the morning when she woke up and realized that she had a diaper on that she could fill.



So one morning I got up and the wife was at work and so its one of a few days a week where I have the kids sunup to sundown. The baby is calling and so I get up to start the day and I go in and I get the wipes because I can smell what has happened already.



A three year old doesn't poop like a baby anymore. A three year old can shit with the best of them and this one morning I was subjected to probably the worst one in nearly eight years of changing diapers. We're talking a couple of days saved up and its like one of those homeless guys you pass on the street, the stink is just so godawful and its got to be about four pounds of solid shit and I'm gagging like I've just been gassed in Belgium, I can barely fucking stand it. And she's giggling away 'I pooped I pooped'. Yeah no fucking kidding. Thanks a million.



----------------------------



The Oilers signed Ryan Jones today and apparently its for two years for ~ 3 million. Jones is an odd player. The underlying numbers hate him (read FastOils's comment in the thread) and really so does the eye. He's forever falling down and for a guy whose role is to grind it out he's not one to hit or grind or do much of anything. But he can score goals. He scored eighteen of them. And he's engaging, he's on Twitter and he either is an everyman type of guy or plays one very well (most likely the former - he just seems like a simple guy who enjoys himself) and so he is a fan favourite.



There was little doubt that the Oilers would at least try to sign the guy and really its hard to get too upset about this at all. The term is fine and at least this year he isn't going to be taking up a roster spot for anybody on their way up. Omark has a spot now and one has to guess that Hartikainen has also earned his place but there are no other kids to make the jump on the wing this fall. With Jones signed the wingers suss out this way: Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hemsky, Jones, Omark, Brule, Hartikainen.



Maybe they flush Brule or maybe they stick with him and try and get some value but until the Hemsky contract gets resolved I think what we see is what we get. They flushed Liam Reddox and while I liked the little guy quite a bit of course he just was not that good. Having said that he could PK and he was better than Jacques and MacIntyre so hopefully we will see an upgrade of some sort, a vet who could PK and add some size would be nice. I really don't expect much though.



Back to Jones. As I said at this term and money its alright. Hey its even possible that he could turn into a guy who can help a winning team down the road, although its pretty unlikely. Hard to get too worked up about it at all one way or another. Its not a gamble at all and if he can become better then its a win. I don't expect that but after years of flushing guys and not replacing them I certainly can't get upset about the Oilers keeping guy who at the very least can play in the NHL somewhat.


3 comments:

Swabbubba said...

priceless stuff... gassed lol. The Jones deal is for the fans but i think it sets a good example also ... u are not a star but u r blue collar player. he did not take too many nights off. I think something is wrong with his middle ear although it could be his flowing locks causing an imbalance when he tries to make a sharp turn. I think he is good for the room and chemistry is going to be key this year.. could be a bumpy ride

HBomb said...

A three year old doesn't poop like a baby anymore. A three year old can shit with the best of them and this one morning I was subjected to probably the worst one in nearly eight years of changing diapers. We're talking a couple of days saved up and its like one of those homeless guys you pass on the street, the stink is just so godawful and its got to be about four pounds of solid shit and I'm gagging like I've just been gassed in Belgium, I can barely fucking stand it. And she's giggling away 'I pooped I pooped'. Yeah no fucking kidding. Thanks a million.

Talk about unleashing one's inner Dennis King. Outstanding stuff, really.

King Aardvark said...

By the time my kid (still an infant, btw) was 1 month old, he had already been to various pubs 4 times. Obviously, you are still letting your kids run your life. Tsk tsk.