Thursday, August 11, 2011

August 'Odge Podge


A little stream of consciousness a la King, Larry, not Denis ... I'm working on my French, can you not tell? ... speaking of French, we left last Saturday for PEI and we were flying flying flying, almost all the way through Montreal on 20, 4km from the bridge when we hit traffic, took us two hours to go 4 km and we arrived in Edmundston three hours later than we might have ... take those two hours away and we would have had supper when we arrived, instead we got fucked ... second year in a row this has happened, next year I think we cut through the States ... we still did 1100 km on the Saturday which left Sunday a relative breeze, five and a half hours of driving in total, piece of cake ... rumours still flying about Oilers shoring up their D and goaltending, mostly from Bra and Panties girl, she is an insider methinks or somewhat of one, which worries me considering she insists the club thinks they will be in the playoffs this season ... with this D and goaltending? Seriously? If club management thinks this then they haven't learned a goddamn thing about how to put a club together ... still a little bit of help in the UFA market and its always interesting to see who is left standing when the music stops ... Schremp to Europe but somehow POS catches on in Phoenix? Buddy has nine lives, of course Mark Bell has come back so I guess anything is possible ... I guess pedigree or being famous counts for something still ... always interesting who calls it quits, Draper and Todd Marchant have done so, others that may hang them up include Marchant's old Oiler linemates Mike Grier and Ethan Moreau as well as longtime stalwart Steve Staios. Some other famous names hanging around include Stillman, Samsonov, Drury, Jarkko Ruutu, John Madden, McCabe and Hannan ... I expect a number of these guys will call it a day but expect McCabe and Hannan will find work. Hannan and a guy like Sjostrom would help the Oilers, Ray Emery too, but I expect Edmonton is done unless they make a trade ... after months of hot sunny weather we arrived in Charlottetown to damp and cool and their warmest day this summer? 25 degrees! I don't complain about the heat anyhow but for anyone back in Ontario bitching about it you'd take it over the summer they are having here ... parsed out the blog a few days ago, compling my tales so I'd have a saved copy of them somewhere, the end result after I separated the Oilers' talk from it ... over 400 pages, 160000 words in all, holy shit, like Joyce I need a good editor to help me figure out what to do with all of this... start vacation today and hopefully the weather will get better, will make the best of it regardless, anything is better than work right now ... man could I go for a good handjob right about now ... just checking to see if you're paying attention ;) ... was on OilersNation radio last Saturday if you have not heard, go to their site if you want to check it out, was a blast talking to Allan Mitchell (Lowetide) and hopefully did not talk so much that he won't invite me back. It is definitely harder than it appears, if you misspeak you cannot take it back, for example when I explained that a storm was bad 'even for Toronto'. Jesus call in the army! I meant to say the storm was bad even if you were not from Toronto. No mulligans! ... the more I look at the Oilers this season the more I like the forwards but the less I like the D and goaltending, if everything pans out, and I do mean everything, they may be in the playoff race, but I see lottery one more time and Hemsky and Smyth gone at the deadline, which means that depth up front is gone again ... a lot of folks think Omark might be trade bait but the Hemsky situation precludes that, sign Ales and then they can think about trading a kid winger, until they do though nobody moves, you cannot go from Hemsky, Eberle, Omark as your RW depth chart to trading Omark and losing Hemsky months afterwards ... the roster is pretty well set, if nobody comes in the only questions are does RNH make it (probably at least for nine games), will Petry or Chorney be the seventh Dman (I would say Petry) and do any other kids make it (I think the prize kids - Lander, Hartikainen - start in OKC, it will be O'Marra or Vande Velde who make it if anyone does)? ... my wife is sexy hot, just thought I'd throw that in there because its truth ... I'm pvring it but have to say I'm missing my weekly dose of Al Swearengen and the rest of the inhabitants of Deadwood, to quote Al

Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair, or fuckin’ beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man — and give some back.

Sounds like good advice for an Oilers' fan ;) ... alright off to start this holiday with a wander around the downtown of fair Charlottetown, perhaps a pint at some little pub, a browse through a bookstore, also in the plans are a few days at the family cottage, an afternoon hanging with the boy, a day of drinking by the pool sans la famille and an evening with one of best friends talking about man stuff on the river with a bottle of scotch and a pack of smokes I think.

Oooga oooga boooga!

9 comments:

Showerhead said...

While it has nothing to do with the Oilers, this section is surely great and hopeful news for a lot of your readers, Pat:

parsed out the blog a few days ago, compling my tales so I'd have a saved copy of them somewhere, the end result after I separated the Oilers' talk from it ... over 400 pages, 160000 words in all, holy shit, like Joyce I need a good editor to help me figure out what to do with all of this...


Your plans sound like one hell of a time too. Enjoy every minute.


Lastly, who said these wonderful words?

Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair, or fuckin’ beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man — and give some back.

Showerhead said...

Oh.

Scott Reynolds said...

Yeah, Milch is a wonderful wordsmith, and Deadwood is a great series. A real shame that they never made that fourth season.

As for the Oilers, agreed on all counts. The forwards look like they'll be decent, but everything behind them is lacking. Anyroad, have fun on vacation, Pat!

Black Dog said...

Yeah Scott, I can't believe they only ran three seasons. I just got into it a few months ago and cannot stand that I'm two thirds of the way through it. Too bad.

Thanks for the best wishes guys, if the rest of it is as good as today we'll be all set. Great day.

hunter1909 said...

It's summer, for some of us a riot.

westcoastoil said...

Pat, that third Deadwood season is a beauty, wait till u see the end!

spOILer said...

an afternoon hanging with the boy

I see afternoon activities haven't changed much in PEI over the past hundred years or so. Always a smart idea to introduce your children to some good olde capital punishment though, before they get to old to be morally scared (teen age).

;oP

hunter1909 said...
It's summer, for some of us a riot.


I knew that was you in Tottenham.
;oP

uni said...

Spoiler, executing your children would prevent them from getting too old I suppose, but it sounds a bit extreme.

Black Dog said...

ok back and back in the saddle soon